8.20.2010

What Happens When I Whore Out a K-Pop Idol

I figured it was a long shot to do this, but my philosophy is "It doesn't hurt to try."

With that in mind, I decided to email Perez Hilton in regards to the King of Foreplay's new MV for "I'll Be There." Chances of him even seeing it were slim, but like I said ... it doesn't hurt to try.

Now before you start giving me shit about this, saying Perez's opinions about K-Pop are insignificant or don't mean anything, and he should get out of the fandom ... all I have to say is just shut your mouth. Honestly, what's more important: having someone who has worked his entire life to be successful, to be the best; someone who puts his heart and soul into every note he sings and every dance move, become even more known, accepted, appreciated, and truly one of the best that the world has ever seen? Or keeping him just within the fandom, within South Korea and Asia? I'm sorry but Taeyang is way too talented to be kept a secret. If you want these idols to start touring globally, they're going to have to be known globally.

Obviously if Taeyang didn't want to start becoming more known internationally, he wouldn't be releasing an international album and he wouldn't be releasing songs in English. You understand that he's trying to work his way into the Western entertainment world, right? Of course you do, because you're not dumb people.

And yeah, K-Pop isn't for everyone, but again if it wasn't for Perez Hilton, I wouldn't have been introduced to it and neither would some other people I know. So quit acting like a fandom snob just because you discovered it some other way or you've been into it longer than others have. We all love the same people, we all respect the same people. Why does it matter how long you've been listening to it? Shouldn't it just matter that you do listen to it?

ANYWAY, I DIGRESS.

I emailed Perez this morning, thinking that since Taeyang is wanting to be known more internationally, this could be a good way for him to gain more attention. Because you also know that celebrities check his site to look at THEMSELVES, right? Fact is, whether you like him or not, Perez is a mjaor gateway to exposure. I will never take my choice back or think of it as a mistake, and if you do, you can kindly get off my blog.

Digress again ... ha.

This is the subject line that I emailed him with. Pretty catchy. I knew it would get his attention.

Photobucket

Catchy headlines are always a must.

I emailed him with this. You can check out the screen cap of it here, if you'd like.
Perez,

As a lover of K-Pop, I know you will appreciate this! It is the newest single from Taeyang, who I'm sure you know is a part of Big Bang. He will be releasing his first international album next week, and "I'll Be There" actually has a Korean and an English version.

This is the music video, which is AMAZING, choreographed by the talented Shaun Evaristo (who does most of the choreography for YG Entertainment artists). Taeyang is simply amazing, even opening for Usher when his tour stopped in Seoul, and I can't wait for people worldwide to recognize his talent.

Check it out! You won't be disappointed :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7yDhql20TSU
I didn't think he would see it or respond, so imagine my surprise when less than fifteen minutes later this pops up in my inbox:

Photobucket

I was so excited. I didn't want to say anything on Twitter about it because I wasn't sure if he would post the video or not. But he did and that made me ridiculously happy and I felt so accomplished.

So thank you, Perez! :)

Maybe I need to whore out more idols ...

Edit: So, yeah, I know Tae-Tae didn't open up for Usher. I could have sworn he did, but my information was mistaken. Brian McKnight, yes. Usher ... hopefully next time.

TKPA

23 comments:

  1. I'm so happy he posted it and e-mailed you back! Perez is how I found k-pop too. Hopefully being on Perez will give him a huge boost in the US.

    ReplyDelete
  2. He's already opened for Brian McKnight and Usher, so he has his foot in the door he just needs to be shoved in. Hopefully this shoves him in haha

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't want to rain on your parade and make you upset or anything but I saw the post that Perez did.
    I'm mad, really.

    It's got nothing to do with me saying anything bad about Taeyang. I absolutely love the new MV, but as I was reading the comments, there was this one person that completely bashed taeyang and said some other "interesting" things.
    Hopefully you don't get completely upset because I'm actually furious towhat this person said. If you did have something to say about it I know you'll take it in a more professional manner than I did.

    ReplyDelete
  4. If you really feel like you did such a great thing why do you care how people feel about it? I'm sure you had a lot of people, your fans, who were proud of you for doing it. Stupid and disrespectful for you to even post this. You can't please everyone./ Get over it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. @Frances,

    I did see the comments. However if you look at the people saying POSITIVE things compared to the people saying NEGATIVE then there's a huge difference. Unfortunately a lot of the negative comments are people who hate on Perez, so that's where majority of the negativity is coming from. I pay them no mind, because you and I know different. We know Taeyang is talented and we know he's going places. The person who was leaving those comments (I did read them) aren't worth our anger or our time.

    Keep your chin up and faith in Taeyang :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. My issue with Perez is just him. I don't go to his site that much (honestly, today was the first time in weeks), but I also can't deny that he has given exposure to some people out there. I'd be much happier if he used YG's Taeyang Youtube instead taking it for his own hits, but Perez has to make money, right? I can't fault him for that as well.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think the reason why most people are hating on the fact that Perez knows about Taeyang's stuff is because of all the negativity that surrounds his blogs... A LOT of people are just close-minded critics and they keep saying shit like he's not being original and he's copying who-the-fuck-cares. I guess Taeyang's fans are just afraid of what people have to say about him because they refuse to believe that someone so amazing and talented could be hated on. Just like any other netizens... I don't get what's so different about Asian netizens criticising and Western netizens criticizing... Taeyang can't please everyone...

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh my gosh that's so awesome! I whore out kpop idols all the time. My friend tells me to stop, but you're right... how are they going to get exposure if we don't talk about them and share their talent with the "westies".

    I don't care what negativity comes from Perez or those who comment on his blog. No exposure to kpop is bad exposure (that's what I think). At least their work is being shown to us westies.

    Taeyang's name will get out there and that's all that matters. Just like our own Kpop Addict got to know this world through Perez, I'm sure there are many more out there that can be reached the same way :)

    Keep up the good work... good whoring??? That doesn't sound right lol jk.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Its unfortunate that Perez is constantly stalked by people who hate on him and also choose to dislike K-Pop just because he likes it. I really don't think the people who gave the negative comments on his blog gave the song a chance.
    Good job though! And I'm sure Taeyang would appreciate it. People can hate him, but we know he's frikin amazing and that's all that matters. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. lmao !! i don't think it was bad..infact im happy and proud you did it..i think id do the same thing
    Taeyang deserves to be known :)) his BODY and TALENT

    ^____^ go go more whoring!!
    Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow that is so exciting! One step closer to getting our boy known here in the US! :D

    ReplyDelete
  12. after taeyang debuts in the US, there might be a chance for those fan meetings where you meet and greet (and maybe a potential hug ;D), so having some sort of american press is good. didn't having him mention the wonder girls help? now we just have to sit here and wait.

    ReplyDelete
  13. congrats for being one of the top kpop blogs!! Keep them coming!

    http://www.onlineschools.org/top_kpop/

    ReplyDelete
  14. YOU ARE SO AWESOME! 8DDDDD
    Sometimes I think K-Pop should really pay their fangirls for whoring out their artists constantly, you know ;D

    ReplyDelete
  15. Gosh. as much as i dislike perez... that person is such a bully and full of negativity and he's stressing me out... boy, how glad i was seeing Taeyang in his website, all thanks to you.

    and i quite agree. the negative comments came from Perez's personal haters (that of which i do not understand why haters even bother going on his site and waste their time pulling stunts if they hate him; this seriously also applies to most people) ... anyway.. in all fairness, the 43 comments so far has been pretty clean. not much bashing compared to the other kpop videos he posted; ViPs are handling the responses quite well., so i think i'll be there video is pretty much accepted. and he even has 22,000+ video views already! haha. so, MArio, i'll let you pass this time. i even commented! haha!

    and thank you again!

    ReplyDelete
  16. You know what I apologize I didn't call you stupid I just think that you did not need to start lecturing people about not liking Perez. You're proud of what you did why care what we think right? Don't want to start anything because that's kind of childish.

    ReplyDelete
  17. "Anonymous,"

    Actually, you did call me "stupid." You called my action by posting this "stupid and disrespectful," therefore you did call me that. Your apology not accepted, because you're not being sincere. And why even apologize if you don't mean it? I think that's a rule in an etiquette handbook somewhere, right?

    At no point did I "lecture" you about not liking him. It was intended for those reading (like yourself) who would post comments talking about how he needs "to leave K-Pop alone." (Aw, do you think I should do a Chris Crocker-like video and send it to him? Would that make you happy, "Anonymous"?).

    I actually don't care what you think. That's why I wrote the line, "I will never take my choice back or think of it as a mistake, and if you do, you can kindly get off my blog." You see, this was only meant to be a quick little post with screen caps of the emails and a link to his blog. It ended up being a little bit of a venting mechanism.

    But like I wrote in that sentence, you can get off my blog if you don't like what I say. It's that simple. No one forced you to leave a comment to begin with, so in all actuality, you're the one that started it. And thank you for taking the bait on Twitter and coming back to post a second time around, like I knew you would :)

    Oh, and thanks for the numerous page hits/views. I greatly appreciate it ;)

    ReplyDelete
  18. i first heard about this from Domonique (@JunhOnly) & thr first thing i thought is how awesome that you did this! ^_^

    Taeyang is set for an international release so any kind of international exposure would be helpful for him. YG is probably thanking you by now~! ^_^

    ReplyDelete
  19. i agree with jennykoi ^_^
    it's not that he said bad stuff about Bae
    others are just negative about this...given the generalization on perez's blog
    nevertheless i don' see any harm and so do the others here
    and anyway when you think about it if he's going international it's also good to start w/ those skeptical non conforming icons or however you may call perez..coz like if he loves it, then imagine what doors would open for Bae?

    ~송헤에연♥

    ReplyDelete
  20. that's awesome, congrats! I agree that at least he posts stuff about k-pop. If the artist want to become a hit in the west then at least they (meaning tae tae) is getting some press

    ReplyDelete
  21. Like you, I also first found out about kpop through Perez.I think it's great that you gave him a heads up and that he posted it. The thing about it is, the more Perez talks about someone on his site (good or bad) the more famous that person becomes. People can hate on Kpop (and Perez) all they want, but at the end of the day, they now KNOW that kpop exists. That's a great start!
    Keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete