5.21.2010

Perez Hilton & K-Pop ... Hmm

I honestly have no idea why I decided to write about this, but I did so ...

I've seen a lot of tweets from you all about Perez Hilton and your dislike for him posting K-Pop on his blog. You're all entitled to your opinion, I'm not saying you're wrong or criticizing it in any way, shape, or form. I think maybe I just see a different side of things when it comes to his association with K-Pop, so I can't really hate on him too much.

I asked you all on Twitter how you felt about him and K-Pop, and some of you responded back (thank you, by the way). 

In a nutshell:
  • Not really sure how to feel or don't care either way
  • Dislike due to bad publicity towards idols
  • Bad publicity is good publicity
I know what you mean, I get it. I get ticked off too when I read some of the comments people leave. For one, the grammar on 90% of them is atrocious and I think anyone who cannot comprehend the difference between "there" "their" and "they're" needs to go back to elementary school (those learning to speak English are excused). But also, you must take into consideration one thing:

What do your friends who don't listen to K-Pop say when you play them a song or show them a video?

They look at you like you're insane, right? I get it all the time from my friends and family. (I think that's why I love you all so much). People are very critical about things they don't understand, it is human nature.

I pulled a few comments from the video for "Lollipop 2" he posted.

"This is some of the worst crap I have ever heard!!! If this is a band you are promoting then you are in trouble!! If you like it you have no credibility to be on idol!! Oh yeah and nobody but your narscistic (sic) self thought ht (sic) Perez doll was clever or funny~"

"i hope these boys are gay there is no reason for grown ass men to be dressed that way"

"Proving once again that you know nothing about good music, Mario (as if your concert tour, or recording label didn't make that perfectly clear). "K-pop" and "amazingness" don't belong in the same sentance (sic)."

You get the point. Sad thing is that since his blog is so big and he has people ghostwrite for him (because there is absolutely no way a graduate of NYU writes "staid" instead of "stayed"), the option of screening comments and reading everything people post is impossible. At the same time, people are entitled to their own thoughts, no matter how idiotic they may be.

The reason I can't hate on him is because ... well, you should know by now ...

Perez Hilton is the person who introduced me to K-Pop.

If I did not read his blog a few times a week, I would not have stumbled upon Super Junior's "Sorry, Sorry." And then I would not have become addicted to K-Pop, meaning that I would have never created this blog. In a kind of weird, twisted way ... I owe a lot to Perez promoting K-Pop.

Yes, he doesn't do it often, and he only showcases a few groups, but the fact remains that he is getting the word out there about them. If I became curious enough to check out Super Junior, to see more from them, then I am pretty sure that others out there have done the same.

However, I will say that the minute he starts posting negative comments about these idols ... oh, I will help assemble the mob with pitchforks and torches. He can't control what close-minded people think or say, so it isn't necessarily fair to blame him for that. And as for him not being the appropriate person to be the "spokesperson" for K-Pop internationally ... well, I'll be more than happy to fulfil that role.

I'll have the world wiping up their drool puddles off the floor. I should probably sell hankerchiefs if I ever earn that role, huh?

Oh, and I will also say this ... if the dude comes near G-Dragon or T.O.P or any of my idol babes and blogs about them in a way that I would ... HELL NO WILL I ALLOW THAT SHIT.

He can post videos all he wants, but once he goes after my boys ... na-uh. That won't be tolerated. Because whatever unfunny, lame attempt he makes at talking dirty about them would be just that: an unfunny, lame attempt. If I see one, "seksi," "HAWT," "yummers," or if he tells any of them to lose their pants ...

No. There can only be one dirty blogger in the K-Pop world. And that is me.

Feel free to go at it in the comment section!

TKPA

11 comments:

  1. I appreciate what you're saying. Really the only objection I have to Perez Hilton's blogs about kpop are how it invites people to trash kpop in the comments section. I try not to read the comments anymore cause they annoy me. As you said though, obviously it got you interested, and maybe for every 100 shitty comments there's 1 more person who gets obsessed. Which honestly... adds up to quite a few~

    I completely understand what you're saying about friends/family looking at you strangely too. Even friends of mine that like Japanese stuff like anime and some music, are like "uuuh Korean music, what???". That's why I also love the kpop friends I have online so much, cause honestly there's no one else to spaz about it with!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just like you, I discovered kpop by reading Perez. He posted the "Strong Baby" video and it was hook, line, and sinker! I know there are more people like that as well. You can't blame Perez for the comments, haters are going to hate in every possible way. He has definitely helped champion the Wonder Girls, and now they are headlining their own tour! So I feel like I owe him even more, since I get to see 2PM and their beastly bodies in person!! My new hope is since he is such a YG fanboy, then he will get Big Bang and 2NE1 over here for a couple of shows!
    And I'm glad I found this website too...I live with 3 boys and they aren't very understanding of my addiction...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think it's great Perez Hilton is blogging about the world of K-Entertainment. Someone has to reel in these future crazed fans. However, it is annoying to read and hear the negative comments and get strange looks from those who aren't accepting to Korean music or culture.

    Through it all I am really glad I have three good friends to spazz out with. I also like my new kpop friends online it's great to connect with other people who feel exactly like I do :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. i see no wrong with perez blogging about kpop as long as he don't say anything negative about them.... if he does we all will rally up with the pitchforks and torches! hahahah...

    all of us converge to this blog because of our love for our kpop hotties... i don't have much friends that lust over them like all of us in this blog... hahahah...

    TKPA and the rest in here...love ya loadz!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like that he promotes K-pop positively. And I don't even bother with the comments at his website. They're rarely coherent and/or decipherable, what with all the abbreviations, swear words and excessive punctuation marks.

    The comments on this blog, however, I check regularly. =D You're all fantastic.

    ReplyDelete
  6. At first, I like what Perez was doing & trying to get KPOP being more noticeable. But when he keep on posting more and more about KPOP, the comments just gets uglier and uglier which bugs me a lot, so I got angry @ Perez AND it's not even his fault LMAO. xD

    I should be mad at the people who dislikes Perez, yet they bother going to his blog & write negative things about what he loves. *sigh* I should just ignore those comments, but I can't cuz I wanna know what they think about KPOP.

    If Perez is able to bring Big Bang & 2NE1 here to the US, then I applaud him & will actually love him XD

    If it weren't for Perez, then we wouldn't have YOU, TKPA :)
    If it weren't for you to tell me to follow you back, then I wouldn't be corrupted LMAO!
    Now I wonder what search terms on Twitter that u used to find me XD

    ReplyDelete
  7. I don't have anything to say about Perez Hilton, because I don't read his blog. However, the one about getting weird looks just because you listen to K-Pop, I just have to second that. It used to bug me a lot until I chose to be hell with it. I mean, is it really that unnecessary? Truthfully, I don't see the difference between K-Pop and any other Pop. People should relax. Music is music, no matter the language.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I don't like his website, personally. I read it for a while but grew tired of seeing pictures with drawn on penises and ejaculation and I can't handle the amount of ignorant, uninformed, asshats that post comments on his blog.
    However, I like that he promotes a little k-pop here and there. Supporting the Hallyu Movement!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Well as you know it was Perez that first introduced me to K-pop - Big Bang Lollipop! I was hooked - no turning back - so know matter what I will always be grateful to his blog for that reason. He brought my lovely Dae into my life.I may not agree with all of his opinions - but his blog is not meant to agree with everyone. I believe he is entitled to his own opinions. I appreciate that overall he has been a big supporter of K-Pop.

    ReplyDelete
  10. The moment Perez Hilton starts trashing Kpop or going after any of our boys will be the day he dies.

    Enough said.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I started liking k-pop just recently. It started with me watching OML where choi siwon was the lead. I looked him up and naturally i found out that he was a part of super junior. I also get laughed at for liking k-pop... so i tend to keep it to myself and just let side comments pass by.
    I got hooked on bigbang (well, more like just TOP) after watching baby good night by accident.. (man i love accidents!)
    What can i say.. i seem to be attracted to choi's..
    I dont really visit perez' blog.. but i kinda appreciate it for getting the word out...
    by the way.. i found out about your blog through the Sparkling mag..

    ReplyDelete