9.23.2009

Step One: Admitting My Problem

I know exactly when it happened. It was May 9, 2009.

I logged onto my computer that afternoon, checking my usual websites [Facebook, Twitter, Myspace (which is rarely ever used), Kickette, DailyMail (why I choose to read British mags is another topic entirely), and of course, Perez Hilton]. It was on Perez that I first saw the video that has forever changed my life. I normally skip over the music videos he posts, but something deep within me said to give it a chance. Maybe it was the fact that the screencap of the video showed a lot of handsomely dressed Korean men, or maybe it was out of sheer boredom that I decided to watch it.

Either way, I fell in love.

If you've ever heard Korean pop, you can't deny that the beats are catchy. Sure, I don't know what they're saying 95% of the song (5% of it has broken English phrases incorporated into the lyrics), but it still makes me want to get out of my chair and DANCE, DANCE, DANCE. In the months following that fateful day, my tastes in K-pop have branched out a teeny bit. I used to subject my ears to nothing but one group, over and over, song after song, until I could sing the songs in Korean. And I can sing them in Korean.

And the one group I am referring to -- the group that I obsess over on a daily basis and that I swear I will marry at least one of these boys -- is none other than the amazing, talented, hilarious, and absolutely man-gorgeous, Super Junior.

From left to right: Shindong, Donghae, Yesung, Kangin (hat), Sungmin, Kyuhyun,
Kibum (top), Hankyung, Heechul, Eunhyuk, Ryeowook, Siwon, Leeteuk






Yes, there are thirteen of them. Yes, I know all of their names. And no, actually, none of them look similar. Let me just tell you, I am in love with these boys. I have over thirty of their songs that I repeatedly play on my iTunes, their entire 3rd album (which is absolutely incredible in every single way), and yes, there is even a poster (the above picture, actually) on my wall. I will have one of their babies, but that's something I'll hash out another day. And there will be plenty of posts as to why I love Super Junior, so I won't begin to explain it at the moment, but trust ... there are a lot of reasons.

Suggested Super Junior songs: "It's You," "Reset," "She Wants It," and "Let's Not."

Another K-pop boy band/idol group I currently have a fascination with is 2PM. I will admit that Super Junior can be a bit too ... feminine at times. But the (now six) boys of 2PM are anything but that. I say now six because the "leader" of the group has now left for an entirely-much-too-complicated-reason-for-me-to-even-get-into. (If you're curious, type "2PM Jaebeom" into any search engine, and you'll soon find your answers, as well as get a delicious eye full of [seriously] some of the hottest, muscular Korean men alive).


Back row: Chansung, Junsu, Wooyoung, Taekyeon
Front row: Junho, Jaebeom (departed), Nichkhun

I have a deep, deep crush on these boys. Their choreography is sick, their music is extremely addicting, and they aren't bad to look at, either. Which isn't always the most important thing, but it's a nice factor to include into the equation. I am very sad that Park Jaebeom has left the group, because the guy has a KILLER voice and he just oozes sex. And yes, that is an eight pack. I will miss not seeing him involved with 2PM, but on the plus side (as every dark cloud has a silver lining) this boy is: 1. American, 2. Back in Seattle. Which means that there is only the continental U.S. stopping me from stalking him, rather than the continental U.S. and the Pacific Ocean. (I kid, I kid. I'm too broke to go stalking Korean idols, and if I did have money, I'd be stalking any one of the Super Junior members or 2PM's Taekyeon).
Suggested 2PM songs: "Again and Again," and "10 Out of 10."
The other group that is somewhat involved with 2PM is 2AM. Catchy, huh? I have to admit, I haven't actually listened to any of their songs (yet), but they are on my list. However, this video has done more than enough to convince me to listen to them, and the hilarity of "leader" Jokwon's "English" skills has amused me endlessly.
I know I need help. I send clips and songs to my friends (namely one in particular, who we shall call from here on out The K-Pop Junkie) and they look at me as if I'm insane. And I can acknowledge why they think that. Hello, I am a white girl in love with Korean pop, completely and one-hundred percent addicted to it. It is my heroin, my alcohol. I need it like a crack junkie needs their next fix. American music just doesn't do it for me anymore, folks.
And it's not a serious addiction or anything that is hazardous to my health. Nothing like that. But when I catch and stop myself from answering "yes" in Korean (pronounced, "Ye," or "Ne") when my first language is English, that is a major problem.
Yours,
The K-Pop Addict

7 comments:

  1. I am a kpop convert as well. I will be going through this blog and making random comments when I feel it is needed. You found kpop through Perez and I found it through Pooppiness with a HaruHaru MV parody fell in love with the subs then the song... then the GD (watch it and kekeke)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lc9_UegEVJs

    ReplyDelete
  2. haha..yep kpop is love!..when i was a junior i was into jpop but now im addicted to kpop so addicted that i have been learning to speak and read (and write) korean! wonder girls were my firsts, then dbsk,then found out about sandara park in 2ne1, im filipina so yeah..i was into shinee at first but those flower boys don't exude the pure sex that you refer to and yes, i daydream(the type where your both naked) about them a LOT...even when im in school, it's a miracle i haven't moaned in public yet...hahaha.. need an intervention!

    ReplyDelete
  3. *you're both naked* i heart the WG but nobody is seriously overplayed...stop playing it on the radio, please!

    ReplyDelete
  4. My name is Mel and I'm *deep breath in* I'm a Kpop addict. These I said it. It all started in September 2009. I watched Boys Before Flowers, heard the soundtrack, heard Nobody by Wondergirls, and I just fell in love. It's not a crush. It's true, pure love. I am addicted, but it is an addiction I am happy to live with.

    ReplyDelete
  5. terminal_plague1/21/2011 11:01 AM

    "It is my heroin, my alcohol. I need it like a crack junkie needs their next fix."

    I now know how this exactly feels. I'm a late K-pop fan, just last year, June 2010 exactly and I have to say, Super Junior also started it for me. I wasn't really into the whole k-pop scene before (I was more into watching Korean movies and that's pretty much sums up my love and knowledge for anything Korean that time), as I'm really into alternative/rock/punk music, that's why I didn't give a damn when Super Junior came to Manila last April 2010. I just knew them by name, that's it. I was still on a high from attending Paramore and Cobra Starship's concert (March 2010) so I wasn't really paying attention to anything else but after I seriously got depressed (contemplating suicide) and nothing seems to get me happy anymore like listening the usual songs in my iPod, I decided to give Sorry Sorry a try (my friend recommended that I watch the video in Youtube). At first, I was having a WTF moment, but after about 5 plays, I was hooked. And I dunno why. I immediately downloaded it on my playlist and before I know it, I was pressing the replay button on my iPod EVERYTIME the song is finished. Then on a family vacation, my cousin fueled my bidding addiction by forcing me watch Intimate Note. I was really hesitant to watch it because I don't want to get too attached (right.) to something I can't literally understand but yeah, after that, I was up all night just watching SJ's random videos online. So long story short, after battling 7 months of depression with Super Junior by my side, or literally on my iPod, I am now here, still alive and well. I'm am seriously grateful for them for saving my life, literally :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have and addiction. My parents call it an obsession, but what ever. I really had no interest to begin with. My Chinese friend tried to get me to listen to super junior, but it just didnt stick. It happened probably only 6months ago, end of 1st semester. It was like 2am and i was at uni finishing a film, well umm at the time, i was ...well procrastinating on youtube looking at new music videos. And Boyfriend's first mv for 'boyfriend' came up. And . . . i became enthralled, :o until i found out that most of their members are still in school, then i felt a little perverted. lols but i got over that and the addiction grew, to super junior, shinee, big bang and well u get the drift. Then another friend made me watch boys over flowers, OMG it was like a drug, i just had to keep watching (which was really bad as i had an essay due at the end of the week :S ) hhehehehe but ooooh it was sooo goods; and well naturally other dramas have followed. ^^
    My parents think i have a problem, but i dont particularly care.
    It makes me smile :D

    ReplyDelete
  7. Gods, talk, about oozing sex all over the place.... These KPop stars from Korea, omg it kills me. I watched "You Are Beautiful" a Korean Dramedy and I am telling you! I fell head over heels with the song "What Should I Do" when that guy sang it in the final episode.... Went on youtube, found a vid, and hit repeat for at least 5 hours straight. It completely tore at my soul. The whole show with all it's episode just sent me on an emotional rollercoaster... I wish they had stuff like this in America.... The majority of the stuff here are either too out there its more embarassing than funny, or its so dramatic that I can't relate to any of the charachters.... Those Korean Dramedies, well its a double knock out. and if I wasn't engaged I'd probably be mooning over the lot of them... I almost feel guilty because These guys inspire some of my best (and worst) fantasies and it is soooo hard to just put it all on hold for the important stuff to get done, but somehow I manage.... I am telling you, what kills me is that way these guys act towards the main female role..... The forceful yet achingly sweet ways they come on them (all without being completely immoral) well lets just say I wish some hot guy would go for me like that and yet I don't because I don't think I would be able to resist... I feel so low about that little factor... To be honest my best fantasy always start with the guy having me trapped against a wall, he leans in close, whispers in my ear and the rest you can just guess.... OY! it kills me... I only wish someone would show me how I can get some of these songs because I sureas hell cant figure out how to get them here in America, and I even tried amazon.com

    ReplyDelete