9.23.2009

Guilty Pleasure: G-Dragon

I have a strict rule when it comes to the men I find attractive: they must have an actual name. That rule has now been broken.

Ladies and gentlemen, meet G-Dragon:

He's pretty, isn't he? Another rule of mine is that androgyny will never be tolerated,
but in the case of G-Dragon, he's only pretty in pictures.
I have to address, though (because I know you're thinking it) ... what the hell is up with Asian idols bleaching their naturally gorgeous, dark hair blonde? It is not attractive and whatever stylist in charge of these handsome men, who keeps suggesting all these idols bleach their hair, needs to be fired and banished out of South Korea as soon as possible. (I'd be more than happy to style these boys, however their clothing will be minimal and hours in the gym are mandatory).

G-Dragon, real name Kwon Ji Yong, is the "leader" of the Korean hiphop quintet BIGBANG. He is currently in the process of pulling a Beyonce and has embarked on a solo career, yet he is still involved in the group. (Sidenote: I think tattoos are a bit sexy, even on blonde Koreans with ridiculous stage names).

The thing about G-Dragon is that, while a part of me dies slowly every time I type out his name, he's addicting. His songs "Heartbreaker" and "Breathe" have been stuck in my head for the past twenty-four hours. The beat to both of them are incredible, giving off a great club feel to them. I don't live anywhere in Asia, but I can imagine that they are being played frequently throughout nightclubs.

And here is the reason I love them. Because of their ghetto, broken English one-liners that are the only words I actually understand without watching the videos with subs.

For instance, in the beginning of "Heartbreaker," G-Dragon says "Ay, yo! Finally! / Is this what you been waitin for? / I'm all by myself, but it's all good." I don't know what makes it so funny to me. Maybe it's how his mouth moves when he says it, maybe it's how he sounds (could be), or maybe it's because he looks absolutely ridiculous in the beginning shot of the video.


He sort of looks like the male, Korean Lady Gaga, no?
The rest of the video is actually the result of a lot of creative genius, and the lyrics aren't half that bad. However, it is a bit creepy when he starts singing, "I'll still still be there." The choreography is weak in comparison to other idol groups, but G-Dragon definitely makes up for it in the style category.

Please fire your current stylist, baby. Employ me instead.
So, after listening to "Heartbreaker," I had a good laugh and decided to check out his other, newest video, "Breathe." I needed another laugh and curiosity always gets the best of me. At this point, I had already written off G-Dragon and the whole adrogyny, bleach blonde thing he has going on. I gave him credit for producing such a hit (because if the whole thing was in English and was released in America, I know for a fact it'd be a major hit), but it pretty much stopped there.
But then "Breathe" infiltrated my life, and guys ... G-Dragon is now my guilty pleasure. He's the type of guy girls know they aren't supposed to like, because he's all wrong for them, because he's a total douche, or because he's just amazingly ten times prettier than the girl ... but I can't help it. There is just way too much hotness going on in this video for me to handle (it's nowhere near the melting sex that is of 2AM, though).
There is thankfully less androgyny, less facial make-up, which is ALWAYS ALWAYS ALWAYS a good thing, in my opinion. But here is a bit of lyric for you to just digest how awesomely hot and OMG it really is:
Hey gorgeous, sweet, amazing baby / I know you want it baby / You and me hardcore right now / 'Til you say no more
Yes, please. And I swear, every time he says, "I know you want it baby," (which is only twice, if you're wondering, but the words have impact) I think to myself, "You're so right!" Because even though there is an undeniably cocky, unnaturally blonde Korean man telling me he knows I want him, in the most arrogant tone ever spoken ... I do want him. And I want him bad.
It's a little disturbing, I know. I cannot and will not deny that the man has a certain amount of sex appeal working for him, and any amount is always a good amount. He's not the conventional I'm-going-to-show-my-eight-pack-abs-and-bulging-biceps-so-fan-girls-will-like-me kind of idol. Although that never hurts, G-Dragon literally "makes love" to the camera. His facial expressions range from hilarity to jaw-dropping to where-the-hell-is-a-tissue-to-wipe-the-drool-from-my-mouth?

So, I will store G-Dragon in my "rainy day" box, taking him out from time to time and use him to my utter and complete whim and disposal. I don't think he'll mind too much, though. He looks like a bit of a man-whore, anyway.
In closing, I will leave you with a picture of my guilty pleasure as a non-blonde.

Yes, please!
Yours,
The K-Pop Addict

15 comments:

  1. I have to say I do not understand why you are attracted to him besides his jaw. His fashion sense/stylish needs major help. Although I also find Koreans talking with ghetto slang hilarious and somehow appealing. His songs are majority addicting and I just can't stop myself from singing them after I listen to them. I would like to say that even though I can't stand his howl in the beginning of the video only he could pull it off..... I mean if I saw Siwon or Hae do it I would die.

    ReplyDelete
  2. K-Pop Junkie,

    This coming from the woman who didn't think Hae was that hot to begin with, you'll understand if I question your sanity, won't you? But you're just as likely questioning mine, because I don't know why G-Dragon is attractive. It's those simple words, "I know you want it baby." It has the same fan-girl reaction from me as Eunhyuk saying "bling bling."

    ReplyDelete
  3. K-Pop Junkie9/25/2009 12:31 AM

    LOL as for the "bling bling" thing that is just hilarious. "I know you want it baby" is easier to understand because it is seductive. I mean if he were to some up to me after singing me a song and say it to me with sexy eyes I would melt. But as of right now he is all yours.

    As for the Hae thing.....it was the "Super Girl" video. You can blame whoever designed/styled his hair that day. Now we must fight over him and starcraft. He is one of my new crushes, lets see how long it lasts. Siwon is still my number one. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Teuk will remain at number one, that's for damn sure. And Hae has always been in the top five, along with Kyu. I didn't have to see a video to recognize the hottie factor.

    I'm glad you say he is all mine. I will remind you of this moment when you see something with him in it that makes you fall in love. And then I'll laugh in your face.

    ReplyDelete
  5. OH YES. With GD, it's love-hate for me too! I prolly love and hate the same things about him.

    oh & I agree with you, even as an Asian myself, blonde do is just downright ridic on an Asian, oh but how GD surprised us!

    Oh plis and plis let him keep the blonde do!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I really do hope he decides to Google himself one day and comes across this blog, so he knows exactly what he's doing to sexually frustrate his fans.

    ReplyDelete
  7. It makes me wonder, you see. Don't he ALREADY know all this? 10 minutes on the Net, would have revealed A LOT on how much non-korean fans WANT HIM HARDCORE UNTIL WE SAY NO MORE.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I think blondie Jingyo is so cute. His smile is mesmerizing... and as you pointed out boy knows how to work the sex face he's the number one lip biter in BigBang. He wears crazy outrageous stuff...he started the blonde trend in case you didn't know. He wasn't the first ever, but after him every other boy group got a blonde member. I'm guessing Woo from 2PM is going to be the blonde one.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I agree with Mas 100%, but the question is, will we ever say NO MORE? This is G DRAGON we're talking about :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. well .your words are correct .

    He's addictive,not because he's a handsome or pretty boy( IMO , he's farrrrrrrrrrrrr from hottie hunk etc.) or something like that . There's always something which makes him so inspiring , wheter it is his fashion sense or his attitude . He's hardworker and creative plus he can rock girly items in manly ways . He might look-like gay in photos . But , when you see him performing on stages or in interview , he's freakin' manly .

    He's just one-of-kind . Male and simplier version of Lady Gaga . I admire him , he's cool but not sexy . He's a living-modern-pop-culture-icon .

    ReplyDelete
  11. He is just sex on legs. His lyrics just make you want him even more.
    I actually don't mind the blond, though I do think Asians have absolutely gorgeous hair colouring and I don't know why they all want to change it.

    ReplyDelete
  12. terminal_plague1/23/2011 9:40 AM

    I'm used to seeing Asian men with ridiculous hair colors so I wasn't surprised when I saw Heartbreaker for the first time. I wasn't completely sold when I that video also but eventually after listening to it over and over again, I got hooked. I fell for him after watching Butterfly. There was something about that whole ring-leader/cocky persona that made me like him.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Well its 2015! Feeling at peace reading this. G-Dragon is something.

    ReplyDelete
  14. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete