9.26.2009

The K-Pop Addict (Figuratively) Meets DBSK

(I know I said I'd wait until Monday, but I had free time and actually, if you think about it, it is Sunday in some parts of the world right now, and Sunday is only one day away from Monday. My reasoning is justified, thankyouverymuch!)

Before you go jumping down my throat, correcting me on the name, know that since DBSK is how they’re known in the K-Pop world, and as Tohoshinki in the J-Pop world, and because this is a blog about the addiction of K-Pop, I think it’s only fitting that I refer to them by their Korean name. I could just be neutral and use TVXQ, but I feel like being biased right now, so you’re all going to have to deal with me calling them DBSK. I don’t think a group should have three different names, as that is two too many names for my brain to handle. [Yet, learning thirteen names in regards to Super Junior was (hardly) a problem].

Much to the suggestion of some lovely people over at Twitter (thank you, by the way) I checked them out this past weekend. I wanted to do this blog entry a bit earlier, but I needed the proper amount of time to go all fan-girl over them. Plus, I had to have time to properly learn their names and do my “research” on them, which basically entails me endlessly looking up videos on YouTube. That is what actually took the longest for me to do. It’s tough, but someone has to do it, right?

Xiah, Micky, Hero, Max, U-Know

DBSK … Oh, how you completely surprised me.

The songs my Twitter followers suggested were ballads, and truthfully, while I love listening to ballads, I’ve been spoiled and I don’t really like them if my precious Kyuhyun or Yesung aren’t singing them. I listened to “Doushite Kimi wo Suki ni Natte Shimmantandarou” (English translation: “Why Did I Fall in Love With You?”) and loved it. It was a beautiful little ballad, and I think I loved the video even more than the actual song.

Please don’t ask me to say it, because I get tongue-tied as Japanese isn’t necessarily a language my mouth can speak without my brain pausing to think. (Completely irrelevant note: I do know how to say “goodnight” and “remote control” in Japanese, as those aren’t too complicated for my American mouth).

DBSK is made up of Hero, Xiah, Micky, Max, and U-Know. They do have other names, but for the sake of my sanity, I’m just going to go with the easiest names for me to pronounce. And I have a teeny crush formulating on Hero, as I believe he is far prettier than the milky-white-skin-attention-whore that is Kim Heechul. (But I do love Heechul and his inability to shy away from the camera).
Heechul, you have some competition, lovely
I wasn’t one hundred percent sold on DBSK, as I want some songs that will make me want to get out of my chair and dance and not remind me of how much my love life sucks as of late or something that will bring on the water-works. And then I listened to “Mirotic,” as I read on Allkpop (credible source, I know) how the album sold over 500,000 units when it was released last year. I see why.

I like “Mirotic,” because I am a sucker for random English phrases in lyrics. Seriously, if there is even just one word stuck in there somewhere, I love it. (Nothing beats Taekyeon saying, “She’s a bad girl I know / But here I go again / Oh no,” in his deep sexy voice in 2PM’s “Again and Again”).

I also checked out “Wrong Number,” and I think that is my absolute favorite. I'd say it's up there with Super Junior's "Reset" and G-Dragon's "Breathe." Big compliment, as those are the two songs I cannot get enough of as of late. Again, I am a sucker for English in a predominately foreign language song. But more so than the lyrics is the beat and I love love love the choreography. Oh, and major props to whoever styled these boys in this video, because they did an amazing job. Why can’t all stylists pull this off?

And the most important thing about all three videos, the boys look completely sexed up. In “Doushite,” it’s the heartbreaking kind of sexy, the total puppy dog eyes, that makes girls just want to mend their broken hearts with super glue and duct tape and a full-on body massage. “Wrong Number” is the angsty sexy. You know how some guys are just ten times more attractive when they’re angry? Yeah, they totally have that going on.

Before you go thinking I’m shallow for always commenting on the physical appearance, know that all it takes is for me to find one member in the group attractive, and I go all fan-girl-berserk and start listening to everything they ever sang and watching almost every video of them attention-whoring-it-up on Korean television. I will always give credit where credit is due, also commenting on dancing ability, vocal ability, how much they can make me laugh, and if they have caught my attention enough for me to want to obsess over them.

DBSK has definite potential, and I know that if I try and listen to them more, I’ll soon be configuring lists of reasons why I love them. I just need some quality time with the boys. That’s all I’m saying.

So far … definitely good.
Yours,
The K-Pop Addict

No comments:

Post a Comment