11.07.2010

Ayy No ...

I heard JYJ's new song with Kanye West a few weeks ago when Louise from billboard.com sent me the article about the boys and their new attempts to break into the Western music market. And I really like the song. So much that I was going to write this long lengthy post about how I was going to give the three former DBSK members a shot and quite possibly begin obsessing over them on the blog (something I know you all have been waiting for).

But then ... I saw the video.

And oh, Lord ... a monkey wrench was flung into the mix and now everything is so ... oh, man.

First off, let me just say that this is 2010. The technology available to us now is amazing, and since this is a South Korean idol group, and let's face it, Korean technology kicks American technology's ass in terms of awesome factor ... I really do expect a high quality music video, complete with awesome effects. If you're going to stand in front of a green screen and have the entire background computer generated, it better be like Avatar standards, okay?

But no ... we get this instead.

Photobucket

Something that looks as tacky and cheesy and Super Junior's "Marry U" video. Not hating on Super Junior in any way, shape, or form, but even for a video made in 2007 it was lacking in the wow-what-awesome-CG factor. And one would think three years later, that maybe we could just get past the fuzzy, lowest-of-the-low quality videos and produce something ... I don't know, awesome?

And was it just me or did anyone else find this video i-n-c-r-e-d-i-b-l-y s-l-o-w? I don't remember the song being that slow when I listened to it, but seeing it with the video and the WTF choreography that felt more like K-Pop Choreo 101 rather than professionals who have been around forever. It was boring and I swear it looked like they were counting. You can see on their faces that they're counting the steps.

Now here comes my bread and butter ... what in the hell were they wearing? What the fuck is that, Jaejoong?

Photobucket

No, seriously? A sheer shirt, styled to look like a tuxedo jacket, some Joon-looking pecs, and a Victorian-era woman's chandalier necklace? If I had to choose what was worse between this and everything Hyun Seung is forced to wear, you'd win by miles, bb.

I want to shoot whoever did this to Micky's hair. I'm a proud supporter of a strict anti-curl movement, and these are like the worst kinds of curls you can imagine. Because they aren't soft and bouncy. I might be able to accept soft and bouncy little ringlets on top of his head.

Photobucket

But it's more like he didn't have time to blow dry or straighten his hair, so now he's left with these waves that just look plain ridiculous. (Also, maybe I'm going through a BIGBANG withdrawl, but am I the only one who sees GD in this frame?)

Oh, Junsu ... I have three words for you.

Photobucket

Nice halter top.

Maybe I will just stick to listening to JYJ for the time being, until they can prove to me otherwise that I can finally have a straight up lustful feeling for them without getting bitch slapped with ridiculous afterward.

TKPA

19 comments:

  1. Gurlllll...If you haven't heard it from this week's show this is our thoughts on it. Part 1 http://bit.ly/d5isSQ Part 2 http://bit.ly/9eMZkE

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's not Big Bang withdrawal, he DOES look like GD :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. OMG, I totally see the GD thing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. dont worry. you're not the only one. :(

    ReplyDelete
  5. From beginning to end, this was just disappointing.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Whats even worse is I would've just chalked all the hair, wardrobe, and mv concept up to them being Korean and that's their style, but that Kanye West part was atrocious...absolutely unnecessary and it ruined it for me.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Eh...I kind of liked it. :3 I know the graphics weren't that stunning and all, but it seems that with every Asian artist that tries to make it here in America, it doesn't look like they'd do well in the beginning. I just hope they'll do well here. :o

    But what I do see in the concept is that they are living up to the English translation of TVXQ/DBSK: "Rising Gods of the East". I only see that because of the pillars and how they are flying and what not.

    And lol, I do see GD in that pic. :3

    ReplyDelete
  8. "Nice halter top."

    Bwahahaha cannot unsee.
    This is all I'm gonna think now when I listen to JYJ.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love JYJ/TVXQ with every ounce of my being... except for this video. I agree with everything you've said. They can do so much better than this, and it kills me that they didn't. Kanye needs to shut his trap as well. Sorry dude Imma let you finish but, this is JYJs song.

    From their English album I think 'Empty' is by far the best track.

    And by the way... you do what I do when it comes to writing their names haha I always use Jaejoong instead of Hero and Junsu instead of Xiah, but I almost always use Micky rather than Yoochun. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Glad I wasn't the only one disturbed by the wardrobe, especially Junsu's halter. I've never really listed to DBSK before, so I was kinda anticipating this MV........but wth?? Somehow it just doesn't work and makes them seem not as talented as they are. =[

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm surprised so many people even like the song.
    I, personally, can't stand the first minute and 20 seconds or so, mostly because of Kanye and whoever is singing after him sounds like his face is in a pillow.
    The video fits the song in that its low quality.
    The Darkchild songs on the album are better.

    And omg I can't believe I just wrote that, seeing as how I LOVE TVXQ with all my heart... but I just can't get down with JYJ's first attempt at this global exposure thing.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh and Cindydindy rocks! :D
    "Empty" is amazing!
    So is "Be The One." :D

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'm not even a DBSK/JYJ fan (I got into kpop late) but even I'M scared to watch the music video. Seriously. Every day since it was released, I'd open the video on youtube, wait for it to load, and then pussy out of pressing play. Alright that's it, I'm going to go watch the entire thing now and i'll post my thoughts.

    ReplyDelete
  14. K, It's me again, continuing from my previous comment up there^^^
    Yup. I'm back. I watched it all. Ha. Ha..
    .......
    ..............
    ....
    ...
    ...
    ...


    NOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!! OMFG x____x
    JYJ, WHY WH WHY?! I CRINGED!!!
    However, I actually like the song. A lot. Which is surprising because I don't really like kpop boy bands music in general.. but "Ayy Girl" was alright. Why are people hating on the Kanye bit? That was my favorite part. but the video..


    NOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!! :'(

    ReplyDelete
  15. haha. oh JYJ.... i miss you in DBSK. at least it was better.

    if you notice... junsu's halter top looks kindof like an apron... sigh. If only it wasnt in this video...

    ReplyDelete
  16. HAHA! This post was too funny. You guys should watch LinzerDinzer's video review for it too.
    These guys are so hot they could have done this video in some abandoned wearhouse,shirtless, with one really good camera. That simple set up would have blown this crap out of the water. Lol Junsu 3 words - Nice halter top.

    In that frame - i totally see GD's face too. It's actually quite scary.

    ReplyDelete
  17. oh JYJ.....i definitely respect you, having once been in the group with the biggest fan club in the world but.....sigh.

    PS - As much as i love Super Junior and their song "Marry U" and hearing them say "Would you marry me?" i gotta agree about the MV. But still, i <3 super junior

    ReplyDelete
  18. kazuya kamenashi has pretty curls. :) google him

    ReplyDelete
  19. terminal_plague2/01/2011 7:35 AM

    It's just too painful to watch =/

    ReplyDelete