5.27.2011

BEAST: Kimchi v. Sushi

BEAST's new MV for their Japanese version of "Bad Girl" was released the other day, and judging by some comments I pulled from a few different uploaded versions, I don't feel left out in my thinking that this version fell short from the original, Korean version.

Like fell off the same tree and rolled down a hill and off a cliff and into the bottom of a shadowy, scary gorge where it splattered all over the rocks. Okay that was harsh. It came to a more dramatic halt at the cliff's edge, but it still is no where near the tree.

Photobucket

Photobucket

It isn't horrible, I actually really like some elements from it that I wished they could have thought of when they debuted. It's just different. And naturally, the only way to settle such  a dispute as to which video is more awesome is to break it down and take a vote!

STYLE

It is no secret that I hate what BEAST's stylists do to them, and it seems that Hyun Seung gets the most of the unfair cray cray style. When I find something that I do like on them, it's a rare occasion and maybe even a cause for a big ass celebration party. I really loved their style in the Japanese version, and despised it in the Korean version.

However, Dongwoon's hair situation needs to be dealt with ASAP, because it just isn't working for me. Comb it differently or whatever you have to do, as long as it doesn't make you look like Justin Bieber, okay?

In my book, Japan wins. Simply because they look like grown men versus another cutesy boyband designed to be adored by adolescent girls. They catered to their legal lady fans on this one.

CHARISMA

HANDS DOWN KOREA.

There is no freaking question about it. They look exhausted, depressed even. I really don't understand where their smiles went. Even Hyun Seung ... the most smiley person in the group looks like you kicked his whole litter of puppies and knocked his ice-cream cone out of his hand. AJ isn't nearly as into the video the second time around as he is the first.

They all look like they just don't care. And that's really unfortunate. If they came into their Japanese debut with the energy that made us all--internationally--fall in love with them, everything would be wonderful. But if I was a Japanese fan and saw the drastic difference between the two versions and the lack of enthusiasm, I would be really upset.

Yes, I know they're tired and overworked, but this is still their job. Is it fair to them? Absolutely not. But plenty of other idols are just as equally overworked and exhausted, and they put on that front and wear it well for the public, for their fans. 

CHOREOGRAPHY

Again, hands down Korea. A lot of this gets factored into the lack of charisma in the Japanese version, but I honestly felt like screaming at my computer screen for them to stop standing there and MOVE, DAMN IT!

Even Doo Joon, my sweet, sweet DJ ... if you watch him at 1:15, he's exhaling so hard that it comes across as exasperation, like this is pointless and stupid and there are a million other things they as a group have to accomplish and do.

Photobucket

During the chorus, there wasn't much effort put into the choreography that everything seems slow and drawn out and boring. Could the director have given all of them two Red Bulls to down after seeing the first take was not up to BEAST standard or something? It's as if they forgot their choreography to this song--their debut song, something that should always be executed flawlessly because they worked so long and so hard on it--and they didn't have time to practice before shooting so it was all done from vague memory.

I just didn't feel their passion from this video, and I'm not saying it's terrible. I was just spoiled with the original so I kind of want the NEW version to surpass it and leave my mind blown. My mind was blown, but not in the wow-that-was-so-amazing! way I wanted it to be.

First, watch the Korean version below:


Now watch the Japanese version:


And leave a comment below telling me what you liked/disliked about it!


TKPA

9 comments:

  1. I agree with everything actually lol, I re-watched the mv a couple of times and I could tell that Hyunseung for some reason isn't putting that much effort in to the dance like he's dancing it like whatever (if that makes sense) It left me kinda disappointed too, I really hope they get enough rest next time. I mean the Japanese Shock MV is just as good as the Korean version. Its a shame they didn't get it right with Bad Girl

    ReplyDelete
  2. Its like they're going through the motions, but they're mentally somewhere else...

    ReplyDelete
  3. i think the japanese version was SOOOOOOOOOOoooooooooooooooooooo booooooOOOOOOOOOOrrrrrrrrrriiiiiiiiiinnnnnnnnnnnnggggggggggggggg...i can even tell they were sleepy! great effort by Yo Soeb though. but still! it looked like they were forced! i don't like the sound of the japanese version too...

    ReplyDelete
  4. awwwww.....they all look so tired in the japanese version. I know they can all dance ten times better than that. I mean, I think they look a lot hotter in the japanese version (I'm loving their new wardrobe), but they seemed so lacking in charisma and energy.
    theyre probably just tired because theyre busy promoting for "Fiction" right now, too

    ReplyDelete
  5. I AGREE WITH EVERYTHING YOU SAID.
    Except for the part about Dongwoon's hair. It may resemble JB's, but it's still pretty damn beautiful.
    and also the part where you talked about how tired they were in the MV.
    I feel so bad for the boys, really, because they probably were so worn out from everything. I just hope these boys don't overwork themselves (because the people who are good at putting on the healthy front are usually the ones that end up in the hospital </3)

    ReplyDelete
  6. 100% AGREED
    they all do look a lot better in the japaese version, and they all have more style.
    but there isn't any energy or charisma at all in the dancing. what their doing can't even be categorized as dancing anymore. what Yunho and Eunhyuk and Taeyang and Taemin do is dancing. this is just standing there and kinda-sorta moving around, attempting to make it look like your dancing.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Amen. I thought my baby HyunSeung was about to pass out when I watched the new MV. I was highly concerned, they all just look so horrible in the MV it's hard to enjoy it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. i heard that that one of the members was really sick or something when they shot the japanese version so the manager told the others to tone it down a bit so that the sick member would not feel left out...

    ReplyDelete
  9. I just want to point out how much undeniable skill it takes to play the 2 videos at the same exact time :P

    ReplyDelete