8.05.2011

Where's the Simple Part?

I finally had a chance to watch Super Junior's new MV for "Mr. Simple" this morning, and kind of having mixed feelings about it. I love seeing my first k-pop love again, seeing new things from them ... but at the same time there was no much that I felt wasn't "new."

It threw me for a loop in the beginning of the MV, when Siwon is focused in on and then Heechul walks by and then Kyuhyun is standing where Siwon should be. To be honest, I looked away for one quick second and the next thing I know Kyuhyun was there. Then I couldn't believe that I mistook Kyu for Siwon and I honestly thought I was a bad fan because I didn't recognize him -- my favorite maknae of all-time (shhhh, don't tell P.O!).

And then Donghae walks by and again, I was so freaking distracted by watching Eunhyuk's jacket fly through the air and magically glide up his arms and onto his shoulders that I didn't notice after Hae walks by the Kyu turns back into Siwon. So at the end I just see Siwon standing there and I'm like "WTF NO YOU WEREN'T THERE!"

SME, why you making us fangirls feel like we're losing our minds?

Then again I have a crappy attention span.

The video starts and I have to admit ... not much of a giddy, excited reaction this time around. Although I did have to replay the beginning a few times because I swear as soon as Leeteuk says, "Hey, I'm Mr. Simple," there is a sound-bite of the Facebook chat notification, that "pop."

But once everything starts and the lights are flashing, distracting you from their choreography -- which is absolutely plain in comparison to previous MVs -- I can see where a lot of people have compared it to "Sorry, Sorry" and "Bonamana." It's the same beat, same sound. And I think because of the fact that "Sorry, Sorry" was such a massive hit, they want to try to duplicate that success, so by making their first singles off these last two albums sound identical to the beat of "Sorry, Sorry" they think they'll have another hit on their hands.

The choreography is really good in some parts, like I love the "x dance" as some of you are calling it. But as for the chorus, it truly is like the "da da da da da da da da da" circle motion in "Sorry, Sorry," only they are standing still and doing it slower.

Photobucket

It's a new song, a new album, a new look for every single one of them ... give us something fresh and exciting.

As far as look goes ... perfect. No complaints at all from me (which you should all know by now is seldom).

Photobucket

Perfect.

 Photobucket

Perfect.

And as far as Leeteuk goes ...

Photobucket

Yes, please.

Like I said, I like the song a lot, not particularly crazy about the video, but I'm really happy that Super Junior is back once again and I'm so excited to see more from them.

And if I'm not mistaken, I think one of the producers that took part in that atrocious ELF anthem called me out via Twitter and said he'd really like to hear my review for "Got Your Number."

Oh, bring it.

Check out the new MV for Super Junior's "Mr. Simple."


TKPA

9 comments:

  1. you should watch Superman, that's PERFECT


    I'm glad u didn't forgot Suju!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think there is a reason behind their choreography. Sorry Sorry and Bonamana were huge hits, and Sorry Sorry is THE Super Junior song. It's like N*SYNC singing Bye Bye Bye. Everybody remembers that song. And since Super Junior is going global, I think that they were trying to bring something fresh and new, but at the same time give us another hook, by also integrating some old stuff in. That way fans all over the world can dance to it and know who the song is and who the artist is. What was the Sorry Sorry hook? The hand rubbing and the crossed arms part. Bonamana was the swinging arms thing. What was the song every flash mob all over the world seemed to do? Sorry Sorry.

    I think for this song, they are giving us the hook of the hand shaking and the x dance and the Sorry Sorry-esque dance as well.
    It's all marketing, in my opinion. And I think it works. I totally loved it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. To be honest, I was really scared of the ubersexual concept. And the teaser pictures didn't help.

    But now I love how they look on the mv and their first performance :D
    If I don't pay attention at the fact they released 2 similar songs before this one, I like it ^^

    ReplyDelete
  4. @ Lollipop:

    You're right, it is all marketing. They're trying to duplicate the success they had with "Sorry Sorry," and in my opinion, they can't do that with recycled beats and choreography. "Sorry Sorry" was such a massive hit for them; every person in the world who listens to k-pop knows that dance.

    Okay, it was a success, so naturally they want their next single for the next album to be the same. "Bonamana," although great, is a recycled beat of "Sorry Sorry." The choreography to it had no hints or traces of "Sorry Sorry," though. It had its own style so I think it went more unnoticed that they weren't pushing another version of "Sorry Sorry" onto us. And that song wasn't as big.

    Now this song is different. It sounds the same as both the previous title tracks for the past two albums, and the choreography has so many characteristics from the first that it looks like they are trying so desperately to have another massive hit on their hands. As a fan, me personally, I would much rather see WHAT ELSE they can do, because I know they have so much more to show the world.

    Yes, "Sorry Sorry" was Super Junior's biggest hit, just as "Haru Haru" was BIGBANG's biggest hit. But you don't see BIGBANG recycling those beats and reusing the choreography. You don't see 2PM doing the arm move from "Again and Again." You never saw NSYNC duplicate their choreography from "Bye Bye Bye."

    Those were all major successes and they've stayed that way because they haven't been "abused" and pushed onto us time after time.

    I want to see a FRESH Super Junior, meaning something that doesn't have to do with "Sorry Sorry." Okay, they proved in 2009 that they aren't just the boy band with the most members, they aren't just a group that goes on variety shows, they're capable of dominating the awards ... now what else? What else can they do to grow and become better artists without having to rely on the success of "Sorry Sorry"?

    I am a huge Super Junior fan. Please don't get me wrong and think I am hating on them and that I did not like the song. I do like it a lot -- whether it's because of the song itself or because it sounds like my very first k-pop song ever, I haven't figured out yet -- but I know they can't ride the coat tails of that song forever.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I totally agree with Caterplina about the "ubersexual" concept.... I'm hoping maybe that's just a bad engrish misunderstanding, but man, those teaser pictures were kind of frightening (although actually RW's is pretty hot considering he's holding boas and wearing yellow bicycle shorts).

    and OMIGOD YES LEETEUK FAUXHAWK YES. :D

    and yeah, some fresh stuff from suju would be great. there are some fun songs on the album though, and I have hope for whatever their second MV will be, as maybe then they won't feel the need to stick to the "sorry sorry" style/branding.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Mr. Simple is a mash-up of 'Sorry' and "Bonamana'...that's all I can say.

    ReplyDelete
  7. anybody else think that SM needs to learn the definition of "teasers"? honestly, they look NOTHING like they did in the teasers during the music video and comeback stages. when i first saw the teasers, i almost had a heart attack. thank god they all look much better in the music video. This is one kpop MV that i don't see any outfit/hair fails.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yeah, I agree. I love the song and all, but my initial feeling about the album was that SME is a little afraid to branch out from their usual formula, because it worked so well before. I do love the album, but Super Junior is capable of so much more.

    I also can't decide if the uncomplicated dance and sound is BECAUSE the album is called "Mr. Simple" and they don't want it too complicated, or if they were trying for irony, like they really thought this dance was insane and were like, "haha, but it's Mr. Simple!"

    And nobody should think you hate Super Junior. The entries for them take a good 79.5% of this site alone, lol.

    As well as your very public acknowledgement of Leeteuk as your future husband. :D

    ReplyDelete
  9. yesung i saw your picture your bald now? OMG why did you get it/....

    ReplyDelete