10.10.2011

K-Pop 101 For Heart2Heart

Oh, this video. I could go on and on and on for hours about this video, about Heart2Heart. Seriously, hours. There is just so much to talk about and originally I did not plan on blogging about it, because they aren't Korean, they aren't K-Pop, and those are pretty much the only two requirements one needs to be featured here.

But this video is so much like a K-Pop video that I could not resist in breaking it down in parts, just like I do for every single male idol group's new video. It's more like constructive criticism mixed with praise and sometimes a severe scolding (but H2H is safe, no scolding today). And I only reiterate that, because they'll be reading this. (Scary, I know!)

Let me first start off with this so I can let the former teeny bopper inside of me out of my system ...

Photobucket

OMG LANCE FREAKING BASS. I worship the ground he walks on, no joke. Seriously, the video started, I saw Lance and I became so giddy and eleven-years-old again that I had to stop the video, open another tab, type in YouTube, and search through videos just to find this:


That intro music still gives me chills to this day. Oh, and it took me back to the days when I went to the *NSYNC concerts and went deaf from all the girls screaming, and it took me back to the days when I had a whole wall of posters and pictures of the guys, and when my friends and I would watch their concert DVDs literally all night long until six in the morning. The ten seconds of seeing Lance brought me back to my childhood and put me in teeny bopper mode.

Back to Heart2Heart ...

If we're really modeling ourselves after K-Pop here, then I'm going to be blunt and tell you the same damn things I write about them. Majority of them don't understand what I say, but there's no filtering just because you speak English. We don't play favorites here (have you read the awful things I've said about G-Dragon?).


So the video kicks off and it's some sort of West Philadelphia basketball court where Chad Future starts. And as he's doing his intro ... rap? ... all I can focus on is Pete's shirt, which is kind of like a horse of a different color, only as the camera gets closer, the stripes become wavy and distorted, big then small.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Why do so many stylists all over the globe make the mistake of using thin stripes or small checkered patterns? It never picks up well by the camera and it totally distracts from the artists or actors. It's everywhere, music videos, photoshoots (T.O.P wore a funky looking hat that did not photograph well for their comeback), even in television and movies here in the States. No more thin stripes, please! Chunky stripes are the way to go. So for your next video boys, please think of me when a stylist hands you a striped shirt and just say no.

Speaking of styling ... Chad, sweetie ... no.

Photobucket

You're good looking. You're hot. I know they probably want you to play that "bad boy" role in the group, because every boy band needs a bad boy. But that doesn't mean you need to look like a douche. It's like you're about to go for an audition on that lame MTV show where the parents choose their daughter's new boyfriend, and you're the current douche that eats all their food and doesn't flush the toilet when you're done.

You want the bad boy role, then dye your hair black, shape it into a faux hawk, slap on a tiny bit of eyeliner (no cat eyes, you're a dude, not a chick), get some abs, don't smile, walk around shirtless, and call it a day. The big key to that is don't smile.

Example, these are only three of the baddest, sexiest, holy-fucking-shit hot guys in K-Pop that make girls go bat shit crazy:

 Photobucket
T.O.P from BIGBANG (Recommend: "Turn It Up")

Photobucket
Jun Hyung from BEAST
 (Recommend: "Shock")

Photobucket
Taecyeon from 2PM
(Recommend: "Heartbeat")

They rarely smile. In videos, they're usually very stoic, even if it is an upbeat song. They can turn on the charm, but majority of the time you don't see those pearly whites. They're bad ass, not douchey. If that's the look you want, study them and learn what they do. They're the masters and you're the apprentice. But the multicolored hair, the star drawn on your face ... it's more "screamo" frontman than pop. You have to pick a look that somewhat suits the genre you're in.

I really do say that out of love, not bitchiness.

Photobucket

Pete, you're cute. And for some really strange reason, you remind me of Eli in this picture:

Photobucket

And I don't know why, because Eli doesn't really have those kind of abs, or a jaw ... so, yeah I don't know why I'm getting the Eli vibe from you, but it's a good thing because he's hot and one of my absolute favorites. Anyone that reminds me of a favorite usually doesn't have anything to worry about.

Photobucket

Is it just me, or did anyone else notice that Brayden was entirely not featured enough in this video? I think he had maybe thirty seconds of screen time total. Like it was this shot, and a few close-ups of him at the end and the beginning.

This is a new group, their first song and video, and majority of it you only see three members: Chad, KX, and Nico. Not that I'm complaining because ... well, I will get to that in a moment ... but every member should have had the chance to be featured the same amount of time. This is in no way Heart2Heart's fault, because they didn't edit the video. I would honestly like to see more of each of them and show off their personality and charm. Pete and Brayden weren't featured nearly as much as they should have been, and to start off a group like that will only keep it in that pattern.

Photobucket

Nico, you're so freaking adorable and I about cried last night when I found out you were seventeen. Seriously. There's a rule on this blog that I can't talk about anyone under the age of eighteen (because that is honestly just creepy and has Mrs. Robinson written all over it) and you won't be legal until next June. This makes me sad.

But it does make me happy that you replied to me last night. Here's how it went down:

Photobucket

And the other day he retweeted me, which earned him major brownie points because it was a retweet of a link to the blog post I mentioned them in last week, which not only shamelessly promotes himself, but it increased page hits, so thank you so much, Nico :)

Finally ... KX ... oh, damn.

Guys ... guys ... I'm speechless.

You know there's always the one member in a new K-Pop group that just leaves me melting into a big pile of TKPA mess. There was SeungHo, Jun Hyung, Dari, and most recently P.O. We can now officially add KX to that list.

Photobucket

Seriously, no words.

Photobucket

Perfection.

I've had my fill of rappers. I don't need to add anymore to the list. I've set my sights on dancers and choreographers now, and KX has earned his spot in the top three. That's how few dancers I have. THREE.


I know a lot of people have been saying that the song is ridiculous and stupid and they aren't sure if it is a joke or not. But it is actually genius of them in a way. The more people tell other people, "You have to watch this video. The song is ridiculous!" the more YouTube hits it will receive, which will give the group more attention. We were all there watching and making fun of Rebecca Black, and the girl turned around and put out a real song and instant celebrity. You have to be able to laugh at yourself.

Also, this isn't a song for older girls like us (even though Nico said I wasn't old). Their target fan base is the preteen, young teenage girl age group, and this song does relate to them. We think it's corny, but this is a boy band, and boy bands usually are meant for young girls, not for those of us over the age of seventeen.

And I know there is a lot of talk going around that they ripped off K-Pop and that they're copying Teen Top and all these other groups ... but when did it become wrong to be influenced off of another artist? If it was so wrong, then wouldn't Taeyang and G-Dragon be copying Michael Jackson? And wouldn't Hyori be copying Beyonce or Lady Gaga? This group did not rip off any sound or lyric or even clothing item from a K-Pop group, they were influenced by them. K-Pop is a very unique genre, it has so many qualities that American pop just doesn't have.

I'm all for this song and this group. Yes, it's a little corny at some parts, and it is hard to believe it isn't a spoof, but they have so much potential. Why are so many people ticked off that an American group was inspired by K-Pop? Shouldn't that be a compliment?

In closing, I'm sorry to Chad if he thought I was harder on him than the others, it's only because he was the one who was featured the most in the video so I am only reacting to what was given to me. I do it out of love so you can improve, because if you're really serious on being influenced by K-Pop and modeling yourself after it ... no one knows male idol groups better than I do; I know what works and what doesn't work here in America. Again, sorry, but please don't hate me and please don't unfollow me from twitter because that will make me sad.

Now it's time to send this to Heart2Heart in hopes that they learn a little insight into the K-Pop world, and also in hopes that Chad doesn't block me.

Watch "Facebook Official" and pretend you're thirteen again! It's an awesome way to get rid of all this nasty college, adult stress.


Oh, and props to the subtle shout-out to the leader and the animated sound waves!

Photobucket

TKPA

13 comments:

  1. TKPA, I totally disagree.. I LOVE KPOP, but I certainly dislike this group.. that "MV", "teaser", "mini-video".. the whole kpop concept was pretty lame... it was like a joke to me, like they were forced to do something they didn't even know about.. Idk.. make up, abs (I just hated the guy who was rubbing himself), winks.. everything was too forced.


    I definitely don't see what you see, for me Kpop concept works better if the guys are Asian, but not really with western people.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I partially agree with Lila... I don't know myself... I don't say I have something against them - it's just that I prefer kpop boybands, with western boys I feel... I don't know... awkward o.O

    but this is not the point of my comment...

    you said: "boy bands usually are meant for young girls, not for those of us over the age of seventeen" ~ I'm 25... >_<

    ReplyDelete
  3. @Lila, you have to remember this ISN'T kpop, this is INFLUENCED by kpop. Why is it so wrong to have one genre influence another? K-Pop itself is a very unique genre but it also pulls influences from American music. I honestly do not see why everyone is freaking out about it. True, this isn't what we are used to, but the fact that the power of K-pop is being seen as something that people want to replicate is a huge compliment and will actually pave the way for K-Pop to come to America.

    @michalinah This group was modeled for younger girls, that's evident. Just like when *NSYNC and the Backstreet Boys first debuted in the 90s, globally their target audience was for the young teenage girls. Like Justin Bieber for a more current reference, do you think his target audience is women 18-24? No, it isn't. I am not saying there is anything wrong with liking them or any boy band at our age (I'm 23), but understanding that we arent the intended fan base explains why the lyrics are very simple and somewhat corny.

    ReplyDelete
  4. SweetMarieAntoinette10/10/2011 6:24 PM

    I....don't know why I don't like it. I mean, if I'd never seen Kpop, they would make me reminisce of N*SYNC and BSB. But I HAVE seen Kpop and once you go Kpop...

    I just...it feels so wrong if I liken it to Kpop. The eyeliner, the sexy stares....no. It doesn't work for me.

    Not to say they aren't good. They just....aren't like Kpop.

    Because duh. They aren't Korean, lol.

    I've been conditioned forever.

    ReplyDelete
  5. As always.....the voice of wisdom that is TKPA!!! I wasn't sure how I felt about Heart2Heart at first. I was actually quite confused lol. It did make me go WAY back to my Nsync/BSB days!!! I always enjoy when something makes me feel young again:)(I'll be 28 next month) But when i read the blog it cleared up a lot for me.....I was looking at it as if I was the target audience....But I'm not...which is why I just don't get it lol. Cute if you think about it from a preteen girls eyes. :) Thanks for all you do TKPA!

    P.S.....I agree when it comes to KX:)

    ReplyDelete
  6. This will forever be mad awkward and make me giggle in a "hahaha" way and not "aw." It has nothing to do with the whole influenced by Kpop thing-this video just has the "early training" vibe of Kpop. Like when idols only start their training, before they get decent enough to debut. There's a reason why Kpop is liked, especially the established groups, they generally have years of intensive training...(let's ignore the random debuted groups of this year and last, we'll not count them)

    ReplyDelete
  7. When the first beats come out, after Lance Bass does his thing, anyone else sing "Bye Bye Bye?" Same beginning :D

    ReplyDelete
  8. If they're aiming at a younger fan base, it's understandable why they'd go with the facebook theme. But things like "thinking dirty thoughts but I better better not" thing is not cool if you want preteens are your fans, anyone else weirded out? It's lyrics like those that had me confused as to who their target audience initially was.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I can see how you would get the Eli vibe from the blonde one. I think the hair, glasses and pose are what do it.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Just like i got use to the asian boys ik kpop, and than fel in love whit it (them). I can get used to them to but the quality is no very high,

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'd say give them a chance guys. These boys ( how old are they anyway?) are just trying to do something out of their life.I do slightly agree that these boys seem to be clueless of what they're doing and whom are they copying..but just like Rebecca B she was just experimenting things and we dont have to be haters in any way. Initially their target market is nowhere near teens-pre teens because singing a facebook song about official relationship in their pages is ssooooooo TWEENS.get it? I dont know his name but he lingers in my mind.He 's adorable the one with darker skin.he looks like Indian to me.Im not sure though dont hate me.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Err..come on.. Look at the Heart2Heart logo at the beginning..you can read it two ways. Heart2Heart and Heart2Trash. I'm pretty sure it's mocking Kpop.

    An entry from The Prophet Blog:
    "The group’s creator and leader, David Lehre AKA Chad Future, is a filmmaker who got his start back in high school from creating boy band parody music videos with his friend. He’s since moved on to a semi-successful career writing, directing, and even television hosting, but “Facebook Official” to me seems more like a publicity stunt to further raise his profile by mocking the current K-Pop wave and tapping into the nostalgia for superstar boy bands, rather than a legitimate musical venture."

    ReplyDelete
  13. the lyrics confused me too anon who mentioned the dirty thoughts line! aside from being tacky, they're about drinking and flip cup and parties...i tried to give it another chance after reading TKPA's rave review, and i've tried to imagine how i would feel if the mv/song have come out by a group like teen top, but the truth is, the song itself is not that good. it has a very weak sound to me and i don't think i'd like it in korean either. their looks have grown on me a little, after i de style them in my head (that hair... just.. no...). also... that dance break was weak as shit. come on guys. TL;DR did not like.

    ReplyDelete